Christmas Joy

So- its been awhile since my last post and gosh- December is just the BUSIEST month ever! There is so much to celebrate and so many people to celebrate with!

As I look out my windows this morning and see this perfect light snow falling, I have to admit, this is the most content I have ever been in my life. God has been pouring out His blessings on Brandon and I and I can't really figure out why, but I am so thankful. I have a joy in my heart that I have been searching for since I was saved. It kind of snuck up on me, a little bit like the Grinch... when his heart suddenly grows 5x bigger! He was not expecting that and I was not expecting to be filled up with such joy.


We have had several Christmas celebrations already and each one of them has been so wonderful this year! We started out waaaaaay back in November with my mom's family. We had a great day of sharing, talking, eating, picture taking, and even a little bluegrass music (oh-except for the ones who had to run out and shoot these majestic creatures... you know who you are).



We had a great Progressive Dinner w/ some of Brandon's family and it was so meaningful to me to be able to share my home with them. Ours was the last stop for dessert and it was just heart-warming to have people over and to share our Christmas decorations with them!

I also got saddled with the hosting duties of the Heier Family Christmas! I made a ham, cranberry-raspberry, walnut salad, and attempted a fruit crisp which I forgot about in the oven and it turned more into a fruit-burn. Whoops! What was so special about this gathering is that my Aunt Helen got to join us. It was the farthest away from home she has been since she had her stroke a couple years back. It was such a joy to be able for her to see our home and spend the day out of the nursing home with us!

A day after the fun w/ my family we had church and I was privileged to be in the choir- which was an awesome experience! Worship is my most favorite part of church and to be up there on stage helping to lead it was an awesome and humbling experience! I wish I could sing well enough to really be on the worship team (maybe I will have to go brush up on my clarinet skills- Ha!) Then we all piled into a car and set off to Grandma Wilson's house to spend time w/ Cindy's family. It was a nice low-key day of talking, napping, football, and some fantastic spaghetti! It was also a more-special get together because Cindy's nephew was home for the Christmas for the first time in 8 years, instead of being halfway across the world in a war. I know everyone was so thankful to be able to share the special holiday with Kevin.

The most recent Christmas celebration was just yesterday w/ Grandma and Grandpa Derry- building ginger-bread houses! Grandma and Grandpa decided that this year they would travel to all of their kids' instead of everyone coming to them. So, the family spent the day eating, building houses (Grandpa and Grandma's were especially creative- I will post pics as soon as I can steal them from Cindy!), sorting coins, and just enjoying each others company.

Today will be another busy day - Christmas Eve service and choir again (yay!), dinner with Brandon's family, Christmas pajamas, and then an EPIC nerf gun fight- per Derry-Family Tradition!

I am sure tomorrow will  bring another wonderful Christmas morning, filled w/ sleepy Derrys, way too many Christmas packages, yummy pancakes, and family togetherness. I don't know why God chose to bless me with an amazing husband and family, but He did, and I am so grateful.


Remember the reason for the season- Jesus was born to love, teach, and save us. Merry Christmas!

0 comments:

Post a Comment