Baptism

Happy Easter everyone!


He is risen!
He is risen indeed!

That was the mantra at church this morning and what a beautiful sentiment. I was so moved by our entire Easter celebration and church and feel very blessed to have had an active part in the services. I have recently started doing some behind-the-scenes work for the worship ministry as a producer. I basically am helping to make sure everything runs smoothly, everyone is where they need to be at the right times, and so on. Today I had my first experience coordinating baptisms. Five people were baptized at church today - five!

I was so moved, humbled, and privileged to  be able to help these folks today. They were declaring their love and acceptance of Christ as Savior in a beautiful, public way. I got to ease their nerves, help them feel comfortable, and pray with them before their big moments and that was truly an honor. What a perfect day for a baptism too! An act that symbolizes death to sin and rising in new life on the day that we celebrate our Savior's resurrection from his death on the cross - truly special.

This morning actually got me thinking about my own baptisms - yes more than one.

I was baptized at a young age, somewhere between 7-9 years old. I can't exactly recall when. (I remember what I was wearing though! haha) It wasn't a full-submersion baptism, the Pastor sprinkled water on my head. This was done in a Methodist church and I went through this with my mom. She would've been in her early 30s. I can't find any photos of the day, but that's OK because I know the memories are truly mine and not some trick of the mind that I confabulated from photos I have seen. I remember feeling my mom's presence next to me as we walked down the center aisle of the church. I don't remember what she looked like on this particular day or what she was wearing, but I remember her being next to me - a warm place of comfort on my right hand side. The Pastor dipped his hand in a very official looking bowl that was set in a wooden pedestal and dumped the holy water on our heads, one at a time. Actually, one of my most vivid memories from that day is from after the service in the parking lot when my cousin Ben said, "Wow! That really must be Holy water - it is dry already!" because my very large black bow that was in my hair had dried quickly. That was a special day, but as I got older and continued on my spiritual journey I realized that I hadn't quite understood the sacred ritual I had been a part of as a young child.

At 19 years old I had a re-do. On a fall retreat with CRU (Campus Crusade for Christ) I decided to take the plunge again. As a young woman, I now fully meant and understood the declaration I was making through baptism. I gave a brief testimony and then was baptized in a pond by one of our leaders. It brings tears to my eyes just to think about that day. I got to share it with my cousin, who is more of a sister, my friends, and a boy who didn't know it at the time, but would be my husband.

Pre-baptism. I love the light.
Me and Becky


Brandon and I - October 2006 - we were still "just friends" here :) *funny side note: we both still have those shirts we are wearing! haha*

Six years later I am feeling renewed in my faith again, even though I am in a difficult season of life I know I have a beautiful Father and Savior to carry me through.

2 comments:

Post a Comment