I read too ya know...



I’ve been away from the blog-life a little this week. I have other silly things going on like 3 papers due in class, so ya know, this little bloggy-poo gets moved to the back burner. However, while I have just a few seconds to spare after Nashville (OMG! – anyone else watch that tonight?!) and before diving into my flannel sheets (it’s cold ya’ll) I thought I would do a little book review. I have noticed that I have been doing more fashion posts lately, and so I thought I should inject a little intellect into my posts by returning to my first love of books.
I have been reading a lot of good ones lately, so it was hard to choose one to dedicate a whole review and so decided to give you a rapid fire review of several of my last good reads.






Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion – I really enjoyed this book and found it to be very entertaining. It’s a quirky not-quite-love story with zombie gore, a splash of humor, and even a dose of philosophy about the human condition. I am going to see the movie this weekend and cannot wait to see how this translates to the big screen.
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern – I thought this book had a lot of whimsy and magic, but is a bit melancholy love story. I enjoyed it immensely, but some others thought it moved a little slowly. However, one of them also thought it was going to be like The Hunger Games… it’s not. Not even a little.
Sarah’s Key by Tatjana de Rosney – This book is not happy. It is very well written, but tragic and sad on so many levels. I guess I should’ve known what I was getting myself into with a book about a WWII round-up of Jewish people, but I think I had the idea that there would be a message of hope and perseverance by the end. I would be wrong.
Gone Girl  by Gillian Flynn – Hold onto your hats for this one kids – emotional roller coaster of a thriller. I ate this one up, but was angry with several characters by the time I finished. As a reader, I felt a little betrayed.
The Hangman’s Daughter by Oliver Potzch – I enjoyed this historical thriller set in German in the late 1600’s about a hangman, his family, and a string of grisly child murders blamed on a local woman. Sometimes the names confused me though, they were all German, and sounded similar to me and sometimes I would lose bits of the story because I was reading so fast to figure out what happened. I liked it more when I read the afterward and realized that the main character and his family are actually historical figures, to whom the author is descendant from. 

Anyone else read these? What did you think? Sound off in the comments!

And that's all for now. Stay tuned for mindless fashion-babble after the Grammy's this weekend! 

1 comments:

AlliFerg said...

I for one loved that Gone Girl betrayed me. Really, it kept my attention from the first to the last page. It was just that good.

Post a Comment