The Art of Racing in the Rain – Book Review

“In Mongolia, when a dog dies, he is buried high in the hills so people cannot walk on his grave. The dog's master whispers into the dog's ear his wishes that the dog will return as a man in his next life. Then his tail is cut off and put beneath his head, and a piece of meat or fat is placed in his mouth to sustain his soul on its journey; before he is reincarnated, the dog's soul is freed to travel the land, to run across the high desert plains for as long as it would like.



I learned that from a program on the National Geographic channel, so I believe it is true. Not all dogs return as men, they say; only those who are ready.

 
I am ready.”




Last night, my dear husband, found me crying like a baby and holding on tightly to our dear pups in our bed as I finished the 2nd to last chapter of this book.

It is a good book that can bring me to tears – and not just once. It isn’t hopeless though, for all of you out there thinking there is no way you would read such a depressing book. There is a very uplifting story woven in this book and the end leaves you with hope.

I really enjoy reading books in which the narrator is a dog. There are so many times that I look into my own pup’s eyes and see so much humanity there. It is nearly impossible not to believe that they have some stream of consciousness in their little puppy brains. And, who is more capable of unconditional love than your dog? Anyway, I always enjoy dog books. The last one I read was A Dog’s Purpose, which also had me in tears, multiple times. There is just something completely heartwarming about reading about the world through the eyes of a dog.

Enzo, a loveable mutt, tells the story of his master’s life with smatterings of race cars and driving tips. I felt like this was definitely a guy-ish book, since I have absolutely zero interest in racing. Enzo does deliver philosophical messages throughout his racing knowledge, which made those parts easier to read for me. While those parts were a little dry, I was completely caught up in the story of Denny and Eve and Zoe and their life. It was such a true to life plot and I felt their pain (and their joy) as acutely as Enzo did. It was wonderful.

An easy read, a completely, utterly lovable narrator, and a heart-wrenching, but heartwarming story woven in and told with love. Thank you, Miss AlliFerg for the recommendation. I am so glad I read this book.

What's not to love?

 
*Gasp* I just learned that a movie of this book is supposed to be coming out next year with Patrick Dempsy as Denny. Oh, I hope it is good.

1 comments:

AlliFerg said...

I am so glad that you enjoyed; it's a tear-jerker but a goodie. I also loved the dog perspective ... I will have to read A Dog's Purpose next!

Post a Comment