Age Yardstick

I follow a blog of a lovely Englishwoman who turned 40 this year (http://notdressedaslamb.blogspot.com/). One of the ways she celebrated was to choose some of her favorite celebrity women who were born the same year as her as fashion inspirations. Well, I turned 26 last year, which may seem quite young to many, is making me feel old. I decided that I liked her idea so much that I would do the same and track my aging yardsticks through time and do features on them every so often on the ol' blog.
But how to choose?!
I basically did a google search to see who else was born the same year as me and some surprised me...

Lady Gaga
Florence Welch- she seems older no?
Armie Hammer - love him.
All of the Glee girls - not so suprised
The Olsen Twins
Megan Fox
Amanda Bynes and Lindsay Lohan - so sad
Emmy Rossum
Lena Dunham
Leighton Meester 
Emma Snow
Gemma Arterton
Shia LaBeouf 
Camilla Belle
Heidi Montag - ugh really?
Robert Pattinson
James and Oliver Phelps (The Weasley Twins!!!)
JWOWW - oh gosh no.

I chose my "yardsticks" really just based on personal preference, style interest, and who I think will be around for awhile (aka. not LiLo). So my five "aging yardsticks" are:

1. Florence Welch - she is amazing. Her style is retro and funky, plus her talent is phenomenal and I love her music. She's not going anywhere.

2. Leighton Meester - I really love her style, plus she's a pale brunette, and that works for me!

3. Gemma Arterton - I am a little obsessed with all things British, and she's completely gorgeous, so why not? Better than Megan Fox, who just barely didn't make the cut. Perhaps I just have a thing for gorgeous brunettes. haha


4. The Glee Girls - Diana, Lea, and Amber. Yes, they count as 1!

5. Amanda Seyfried. I might be cheating a little bit on this one because she is older than me by 364 days, which means she wasn't born in the same year, but I don't care because I love her so much.

Just a disclaimer here - this is not meant to be an exercise in comparing myself to these women as far as body shape, size, etc. I am not going to beat myself up over those things, I just like to compare my own taste, clothing, style, and the like to people I know are my own age. I am very, very aware that these women have teams of people preparing them to step out the front door, so rest assured that I am under no disillusions about that!

How about you? Do you have people you know are the same age that you measure yourself up to?

2 comments:

B. Wilson @ Windy {City} Wilsons said...

I had no idea Amanda Bynes had a few run-ins with the law. Ugh! I did some research after you insinuated she wasn't so innocent anymore...

What a fun idea. I enjoyed reading this. :)

Kristi said...

It makes me feel old to know that you are the same age as the Olsen Twins. I know that I'm older than you, but that makes it real obvious to me. I, too, felt like I was really getting older when I turned 26...oh so many years ago. :-)

Post a Comment